This Pharmacy Technician course is designed to educate and train the student in the diverse field of Pharmacy Technology. The student will be provided didactic coursework in the areas of prescription processing, pharmacy nomenclature, biopharmaceutics and drug activity, dosage calculations, and common mathematical formulas and conversions. Consideration of drug routes and formulations includes tablets and capsules, liquid prescriptions, parenteral and enteral, and insulin and syringes. They will also learn about the advanced roles of the Pharmacy Technician, such as Medication Therapy Management, Motivational Interviewing, Comprehensive Medication Review, and Chronic Care Management. To better understand the business side of pharmacy world, students will learn about HIPAA, drug regulation and control, inventory management, financial considerations, documentation and coding, legal and ethical issues, and communication techniques.
- Current pharmacy laws and medication regulations
- The primary functions of different pharmacy organizations
- The top 200 medications and their purpose
- The different roles of the pharmacy technician
- How to perform tasks in and around the pharmacy