MyCAA Grant vs. Other Funding Options — What’s Different? - MedCerts

Is Short-Term Online Career Training Right for You?

ATTN Military Spouses: For a limited time, the Department of Defense has expanded eligibility for My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) to the first 1,250 approved applicants in the ranks of E-6 and O-3. MedCerts is an approved school for the MyCAA scholarship.

If you’re a military spouse looking for financial assistance with continuing education, then you might want to apply for the My Career Advancement Account Scholarship (MyCAA). The Department of Defense created this scholarship to help military spouses pay for licenses, certifications and associate degrees. Eligible recipients can receive a maximum of $4,000 in increments of up to $2,000 per fiscal year.

‌Who is Eligible for a MyCAA Grant

Being married to a service member doesn’t guarantee eligibility for MyCAA. To be eligible, you must meet all of the following requirements:

  1. Be married to an active duty service member on Title 10 orders serving in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or National Guard.

  2. Your service member must be in one of these pay grades E - 1 to E - 5, W - 1 to W - 2 or O - 1 to O - 2.

  3. You are also required to complete the coursework while your service member is on Title 10 military orders. ‌

Who is Not Eligible for a MyCAA Grant

If you’re unable to meet the criteria listed above, then you won’t be eligible. Other reasons that could cause you to be ineligible are:

  1. ‌You are an active service member.

  2. Your spouse is in the Coast Guard.

  3. You are legally separated from your service member.

‌Other Education Funding Option‌s

There are billions of dollars available for educational financial assistance. The trick is knowing where to look.

Military OneSource

The first thing you should do is go to the MySeco (Military Spouse Education & Career Opportunities) portal. As a military spouse, you have access to this free resource as long as you meet the below criteria:

  • Spouses of active-duty, National Guard and Reserve Component military members in the Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force

  • Spouses of military members separated from active duty, National Guard and Reserve Components for less than 365 days

  • Surviving spouses of military members who died while on active duty

Right on the MySECO homepage you can learn about career paths, build your resume or pursue your education. Search by school or additional grants and scholarships specifically for military spouses.

‌Military Branch Scholarships

Each branch of the military has many school grants available for military spouses. Some of these programs include:

  • Army: The Spouse Education Assistance Program (SEAP) awards up to $2,500 to spouses of active-duty or deceased soldiers.

  • Navy and Marines: The Spouse Tuition Assistance Program (STAP) awards up to $300 per semester or $1,500 per academic year.

  • Air Force: The General Henry H. Arnold Education Grant Program awards $2,000 to qualifying applicants.

  • Coast Guard: The Coast Guard Mutual Assistance (CGMA) program awards $150 per year to assist with education-related expenses.

While this list contains some of the most popular grants available for military spouses, it is in no way a comprehensive list. There are many branch-specific grants and scholarships available to those that research them and apply.

‌Get Started Today

To get started, begin by filling at the form at the top of the page. We guide you each step of the way - from applying to MyCAA, starting your certification training program and supporting you through it, to helping you find a better career once you are certified.

If you don’t qualify, have no fear, there are many grants and scholarship opportunities available. MySECO combined with additional research should help you find plenty of options for financing your education.

Portrait of MedCerts Team
Written by MedCerts Team
Blog Posts Published By Our Team

See all of the blog posts that the MedCerts team has published.

Published on August 18, 2021